Sunday 21 April 2013

Day 104 (Jurien Bay to Dongara)

April 15 (Monday)
Day: 137km
Ride time: 6hours 4minutes

I felt physically great on the bike today. It must have been the good sleep I had last night. I also had plenty of food last night and this morning providing for some good energy. I said my farewells again to my French friends as to what may have been our last morning together. I really couldn't believe the chance of meeting again, especially in this circumstance!

In the morning when I was leaving I had a chat with a German couple. They have seen me a few times as they've driven past. They were curious where I've been and where I'm going. This conversation certainly wears thin after a while.

Later on in the day it started raining a bit. The German couple had seen me around 110km in to my ride and stopped to offer me a drink. I stopped gladly as I knew I was only 20 odd km from my destination, with a little rain hanging around, and also I didn't have a great deal to look forward to anyway. It was nice to have a conversation and a few glasses of orange juice.

When pulling into town I wasn't sure where I would camp. It was raining lightly, looking as if it might worsen, and quite populated around town so it made for a difficult search. About 7km before town there was a bridge with a river running under it. I thought this would be perfect as I was low on water and could boil the river water up for dinner and also be sheltered under the bridge from the rain. I went down yet ended up turning back quite quickly. It would have been very difficult getting my bike down, as it was a sort of cliff face, there were thousands of ants around (the big type) and the trucks driving over the bridge were incredibly noisy. I went in further to town and asked some locals about any camping areas. I found a descent sized caravan park at the back of town. As it was late in the day I couldn't see anyone around. I certainly didn't want to pay for a night there as I had no intention on using any services, but I was keen to set my stuff up at the back of the park as it was hidden away.

I rode around the back and managed to get all my gear set up pretty quickly. I set up my cooker and have now had a good feed. Looking forward to a good sleep as I listen to the waves of the beach crash and the rain drip on my tent.








No comments:

Post a Comment